Gateway Product Support
06-18-2010 03:11 pm
How do I configure the 2Wire Wireless Ethernet Client?
2Wire Wireless Ethernet Client
The 2Wire Wireless Ethernet Client is intended for customers to wirelessly connect devices to their home network that do not support traditional wireless adaptors (such as USB, PCI, and PCMCIA).
This device must be configured on a Windows-based PC via Ethernet, then it can be moved to any device with an Ethernet connection. These can include a gaming system (PS2/Xbox) or Macintosh computer. The device will automatically be configured with a DHCP IP address from the HomePortal, when the HomePortal is properly configured.
- Insert the Wireless Ethernet Client setup disk into the computer. The Setup Wizard will start automatically. If the disk does not autoplay, simply browse to the CD drive and run the “2WireWECCfg.exe” file on the root level of the disc.
- Once the Setup Wizard has started, make sure the Wireless Client is plugged in and that there is an Ethernet connection to the PC.
- The Setup Wizard will detect the Wireless Client and display the device details (if it has previously been configured). Click Next to continue with the configuration.
- The Setup Wizard will then prompt you to enter the HomePortal’s serial number and WEP key. Enter this information where indicated and click Next.
- The Setup Wizard will finish. Click OK to close the wizard. The Wireless Client is now able to connect to the HomePortal via the wireless network.The Client can now be disconnected from this PC, and reconnected to a gaming system, Mac, or any other Ethernet-equipped device.
Advanced Device Configuration (No CD Available)
- Open an Internet Explorer window and browse to the HomePortal’s main user interface page, then click onto the Home Network link.
- The Wireless Client will be shown with the DHCP hostname “2WIRE_WEC_XX” (the last two digits are the last two MAC address digits). Click on View Device Details.
- Make a note of the IP address of the Wireless Ethernet Client, and browse to that IP address in Internet Explorer.
- You will now be prompted for a password. The default password for all devices is “wireless.”
- The Management page of the Wireless Ethernet Client will now be displayed. The page is modeled after the MDC in the HomePortal.
- The Wireless Settings link will display the configuration of the wireless link for SSID, channel, and WEP Key.
- The IP Settings link allows you to set the unit for DHCP or to manually configure the unit’s IP address. The DHCP Host Name can also be changed in this menu.
- The Advanced Settings page displays the settings for Access Point and Wireless Ethernet Client (the default). The lower two settings are for changes to the unit when in Access Point mode. USE OF THE WIRELESS CLIENT AS AN ACCESS POINT IS NOT RECOMMENDED OR SUPPORTED.
- Use the Password page to reset the login password for the Management Page.
- The Detailed Log page displays a log of the unit’s activity, like wireless connections and DHCP communications. Output to a syslog server can also be configured here.
The Tools page allows for a reset to factory state and also for a firmware upgrade (if available).